News And Events
- Professor Slapin's new book Veto Power: Institutional Design in the European Union has been published by University of Michigan Press. Congratulation Professor Slapin! Click here for more
- Professor Rottinghaus has given comments to several media outlets in recent weeks. Click here for more
- Hire a UH Phd... ABDs and Recent UH Graduates on the Job Market
- Professor Slapin provided comments on the future of the EU and the US as a panelist at the Transatlantic Futures conference at the University of St. Thomas.
- New Lecture Series, "Conservatism and Progressivisim in America" Phronesis: a Program in Politics and Ethics and the Honors College. Click here for more
- Professor Aleman's and graduate students Aldo Ponce's and Iņaki Sagarzazu's paper Legislative Parties in Volatile Non-Programmatic Party Systems: The Peruvian Case in Comparative Perspective is featured in the current issue of Latin American Politics and Society. Click here for more. >
About the Department
Welcome to the Department of Political Science at the University of Houston.
With faculty who excel both as researchers and teachers, the department has a strong tradition of excellence in undergraduate and graduate education. In recent years, we have experienced renewal and growth. Ten new faculty have joined us, adding range and depth in a diversity of fields.
- In American Politics, we have added to our expertise in political behavior and the study of institutions: the presidency, courts, and legislatures.
- In Comparative Politics, faculty working on the former Soviet Union and Central Asia now join those with expertise in Latin America and Europe.
- In Political Theory, new faculty have added depth in the history of political thought, particularly in American and Modern Thought.
- In Public Policy, we have an impressive cohort of senior scholars, including the new President of the University of Houston, Renu Khator, as well as recently appointed junior faculty, and the department is affiliated with the Center for Public Policy, which has been active in the discipline as well as in the greater Houston community.
We invite you to explore these pages to learn more about us and to contact the department for further information.